Environmental management system
As a part of BULATSA’s Integrated Management System (IMS), the Environmental Management System, in accordance with the ISO 14001 standard, aims to:
- improve the sustainable development by protecting the environment, reducing the impact of the enterprise’s activities on the environment, and achieving compliance with the regulatory requirements, considering the life cycle.
- reduce the business risk for BULTSA by achieving the environmental objectives and demonstrating to the stakeholders and partners (other ANSPs, airports, airlines etc.) improved performance with respect to the environment, through consultations for encouraging collaborative efforts regarding the environment.
- improve the awareness and the skills of BULATSA’s personnel for environmental protection and reduce the use of resources.
The Environmental Policy is based on the commitment to protect the environment including increasing the effectiveness regarding the environment.
Taking account of the increased public need of air transport services for ensuring socio-economic development together with the responsibility for minimizing the negative impact on the environment to ensure sustainability, BULATSA manages the impact of its activities on the environment as commitment of each employee to:
- be aware and comply with the management’s environmental policy, procedures, and instructions, applicable to its activities.
- perform analysis and evaluation of the environmental impact in case of changes in equipment, technologies, processes etc.
- apply the system for separate waste collection with focus on the dangerous and specific waste.
- Ensure monitoring and reporting in accordance with the specific obligations and the Environmental Monitoring Plan.
The Green Point messages
- In execution of the European ATM Master Plan and in accordance with one of the environmental measures of the European Single Sky Implementation Plan (ESSIP), BULATSA initiated the establishment and participates actively in the “Collaborative Еnvironmental Management“(CEM) forum in Bulgaria.
- As of 28.04.2016 BULATSA introduced arrival, approach, and departure procedures with satellite flight navigation at Sofia Airport in connection with the optimization of the airspace management in compliance with the requirements of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). The satellite navigation provides an opportunity for introducing of one-way routes for arriving and departing flights and reduces the conflict points which will increase the airspace capacity of Sofia Airport and will reduce the noise impact, the fuel consumption, and the exhaust emissions.
- BULATSA takes part in the project for South-East Europe cross-border free route airspace (SEE FRA), together with Hungary, Slovakia, and Romania. Around the clock free route planning in the Bulgarian airspace was introduced as of 07.11.2019. The connection of the airspace of the two functional airspace blocks (FAB CE and DANUBE FAB), provides airspace users with complete freedom to plan their routes through the combined airspace of the four states.
- BULATSA calculates annually its carbon footprint in accordance with ISO 14064-1:2012 and CANSO publication “Air Navigation Service Provider Carbon Footprinting: A Best Practice Guides”.
ISO 14001 certificate under UKAS accreditation