Information on the Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
The Airspace Management Cell (AMC) ensures the functioning of the Unified Civil and Military Airspace Management System at the pre-tactical level within the meaning of Ordinance No. 19 of 27.11.2012 on the functioning of the Unified System for Civil and Military Airspace Management (promulgated in State Gazette No. 99 of 14.12.2012) and pursuant to Instruction No. 24 on the operation of the Airspace Management Cell of the Republic of Bulgaria (promulgated in SG No. 88 of 08.10.2013).
With the entry into force of Regulation (EU) 2019/945 and Regulation (EU) 2019/947 the requirements and rules for the operation of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) have been changed, as follows:
- The rules and procedures for the use of UAS are described on the website https://www.caa.bg/en of Directorate General Civil Aviation Administration (DG CAA) in the section Home » Activities » Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- UAS operators must address the required documents to Directorate General Civil Aviation Administration (DG CAA) at email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- UAS operators must comply with the requirements and time limits specified on the website of DG CAA in the section Home » Activities » Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Regarding the fulfillment of the requirements of the above-mentioned regulatory documents, the AMC does not have the authority to establish manageable airspace structures
- If it is necessary to create a manageable airspace structure, you must address a request to the DG CAA at email address: email@example.com
- Having received a letter from DG CAA with instructions for creating a manageable airspace structure intended for activities with UAS, the AMC checks for possibility and potential conflict with other requests for airspace use with higher priority, and:
- In case of a positive result the AMC:
- publishes a NOTAM message for the creation of a manageable airspace structure, intended for the requested UAS activities
- publishes the manageable airspace structure on BULATSA’s website in section Home » Services » Airspace management » Airspace Use Plan for the day of the activities in it
- sends a letter to the applicant with instructions for the use of the manageable airspace structure
- In case it is not possible to satisfy or renegotiate the request due to the presence of conflicting requests from other users with higher priority:
- No NOTAM message ispublished;
- the UAS operator receives an official letter with a refusal for activities in the requested manageable airspace structure, indicating the reason thereof.
1. Applicants must secure their permits from DG CAA at least 8 (eight) calendar days before the planned use of the airspace (item 2, para 1, art. 18 of Instruction of MTITC No. 24 of 27 September 2013 on the operation of the Airspace Management Cell of the Republic of Bulgaria).
2. Irrespective of the permits obtained, considering the location and the duration of the activities, before the active operation of UAS or unmanned aerial vehicles, the operators must inform themselves whether the requested manageable airspace structure is not in conflict with the planned and the actually activated airspace reservations, published on BULATSA’s website respectively in section Home » Services » Airspace management » Airspace Use Plan and section Home » Services » Airspace management » Active Airspace structures. In the event of a conflict, in view of flight safety, the activities shall be terminated.