Analysis and safety levels
Analysis and safety levels
Main trends in Safety for 2018
The registered events during 2018, related to the operational safety when providing air traffic services (ATS) are as follows:
604 aviation events have been reported against 494 in 2017, of which:
- No aviation incidents with severity class „АА/А“ (accident/serious incident with contribution of ATS units).
- One aviation incident with severity class „В“ (major incident with contribution of ATS units).
- One aviation incident with severity class „С“ (significant incident with contribution of ATS units).
- Eight incidents with severity class „E“, with contribution of ATS units, without safety implications.
- 594 incidents without contribution of ATS units, which are events with severity class „Е“ without safety implications and „D“ classified as unspecified events without safety implications.
- Deviation of aircraft from ATC clearances;
- Actual or potential entry into taxiway or runway (runway incursion);
- Interference in aircraft operation through laser light sources;
- Each event when human actions have directly contributed or could contribute to incident or major incident;
- Report of systems failures or situation on aircraft board which lead to changes in the flight plan or flight profile – to be counted as such event a change of the flight plan due technical reason or situation on board incl. change in the assigned flight level (FL), holding on the ground or in the holding zone and change in the route;
- Loss of radiocommunication with the aircraft;
- Report of aircraft crew about difficulties in aircraft controlling when entering dangerous meteorological phenomena.
- Emergency announcement (declaration of „MAYDAY“ or „PAN“);
- Giving instructions to go-around after landing clearance has been provided;
- Collision or dangerous near miss, on the ground or in the air between aircraft and another aircraft, with the terrain or with an obstacle, incl. an event close to a collision with the earth in the conditions of a controlled flight (near CFIT).
There is an increase in the number of events without contribution of ATS units, as follows:
The number of the events without contribution of ATS units decreases, as follows
Registered events in the technical activities when providing air traffic management (ATM):
- Reported 1450 events against 1222 in 2017.
- No aviation incidents with severity class „АА“, „А“ and „B“ have been registered.
- 12 incidents with severity class “C” are with operational systems contribution;
- 1438 events without impact on the ATS units with severity class „Е“ without safety implications and „D“ – unspecified events.
Number of aviation incidents – trends:
For the period from 1997 to 2018, based on the smoothed graph data, there is a proven trend of safety improving – it is registered more then 15 times improvement of safety on the grounds of five years averaging – from 1.58 (1997) to 0.10 (2018 ) aviation incidents (AI) for 100 000 served aircraft.
In addition to the above, in the annual survey performed by “EUROCONTROL CANSO SMS Standard of Excellence Measurement in 2018” the maturity of the Safety Management System (SMS) in the enterprise is estimated at 72.56%, which places BULATSA among the leading air traffic services providers (ANSPs) in Europe.