- BULATSA management is committed and directly responsible for the fatigue risk management;
- FRMS as part of the Safety Management System (SMS) has as its primary objective ensuring a systematic, constant and objective monitoring of the main hazards related to the staff fatigue, the risk management and the issuing of recommendations for prevention and minimizing the effects of fatigue.
- „Fatigue“ is a physiological state of reduced mental or physical ability as a result of sleep loss, insomnia or prolonged exercise (mental and/or physical activity) which may harm ATCO’s vigilance and ability to perform operational duties related to the safety.
- 1.1. Bulgarian Air Traffic Services Authority management is committed to the main principles set out in the international, European and national legislation related to creation, maintenance and continuous development of a FRMS having a direct link to fatigue management as part of an overall positive and proactive safety culture.
- 1.2. This policy encompasses the main activities of BULATSA related to ATCOs fatigue management, implemented in accordance with applicable Bulgarian and European legislation.
2. Main objectives
The main objectives of this policy are to achieve and maintain high safety levels through:
- 2.1. Creation and continuous development of the FRMS as part of the SMS. The main objective of FRMS is constant monitoring, management of hazards and risks related to the fatigue, analysis and definition of the appropriate proactive and reactive measures for minimizing the effects.
- 2.2. Provision of the necessary resources for FRMS
- 2.3. Establishment of culture of trust and understanding among BULATSA employees regarding the impact of the ATCOs fatigue on the provided ATS/ANS.
- 2.4. Definition of the duties, rights and responsibilities of all officials at BULATSA regarding ATCOs fatigue risk management.
- 2.5 Provision of trainings and adequate culture of BULATSA employees in accordance with their duties regarding FRMS.
3. Main principles of this policy
- 3.1. Proactive, systematic and continuous activities of BULATSA management necessary for introduction of successful and developing fatigue risks management system, definition of possible factors, risks and trends with influence on the safety levels when providing ANS.
- 3.2. Confidentiality and protection of personal data of the reporting persons as well of the persons mentioned in the reports for aviation incidents in accordance with the provisions of the applicable European and national legislation.
- 3.3. Provision of transparency and clarity regarding the fatigue risks management system.
- 3.4. Application of Just Culture regarding the fatigue and the reporting persons.
- 3.5. Application of the main principles of SMS regarding the fatigue management.
3.6.Main principles of FRMS:
- 3.6.1 Development and introduction of the fatigue risks management system.
- 3.6.2 Implementation of monitoring and risks safety control activities and activities related to the fatigue.
Promotion of activities in connection with this policy and training of the officials.
4. Applicability of the fatigue management policy
This policy applies to the following employees and the activities related to the fatigue risk management:
- 4.1. BULATSA employees with direct responsibilities for safety according to SMS.
- 4.2. Persons reporting aviation incidents related to safety.
- 4.3. Aviation incidents investigations.
- 4.4. The established during investigations of aviation incidents cases of fatigue.
- 4.5. Proposals by the employees for changes and improvement of the administrative and operational procedures in provision of ATM/ANS.
- 4.6. Provision of feedback to the employees after analysis of their reports, the investigations of incidents and their results, as well as the measures taken for mitigation of the risks and the recommendations related to the fatigue.
- 4.7. Systems for voluntary and mandatory reporting: reports regarding hazards, risks and aviation incidents related to the hazards and the risks related to the fatigue.
- 4.8. Training of ATCOs and the officials with direct responsibilities under this policy and FRMS, courses and lectures to raise the safety culture.
- 4.9. Periodic monitoring and audits of FRMS as part of SMS.
- 4.10. Upgrade of administrative and operational procedures and practices.